Friday, January 27, 2012

Active listening - A reflection

After the last ES2007S class on Active Listening, I thought it will be good for me to do a reflection. Listening is indeed an important skill. I always wondered if I'm a good listener. Sometimes, I find that people are too engrossed with their own situation to take a step back to listen to another person's story. For example, when we relate to something another person is trying to tell us, we might tend to interrupt the speaker and start telling the person about our own problem instead of listening to theirs.

I'm glad we had this lesson on active listening because it reminded me again about how important listening is. This includes our non-verbal actions when listening. It is true that the listener's action and movement affects the speaker and it will help if we listen attentively and respond appropriately.

Have a good weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jacq, for the reflection. We often take our "listening" for granted, and as you say, become too "engrossed" in ourselves to listen to others. I'm glad you liked the lesson.

    ReplyDelete